SCOTT S. GARDUNO
- Present Position
Managing Member and Senior Health and Life Consulting Actuary
Administers, coordinates, and supervises Taylor-Walker’s services. Also provides health and life actuarial consulting services to regulatory and industry clients. Conducts risk-focused actuarial examinations; reconciles and analyzes claims and claims adjustment expense data; tests reserve factors; reviews and calculates actuarial assets, policy and claims reserves, and other actuarial liabilities; reviews cash flow and asset adequacy analyses; evaluates reinsurance contracts, coverages, and risk transfer; determines rate and surplus adequacy; analyzes rate filings; reviews captive and risk retention group applications and actuarial opinions; conducts actuarial analyses for companies in receivership; and prepares actuarial opinions, reports, and workpapers.
Has expertise in conducting reserving and rating analyses for health maintenance organizations, Blue Cross Blue Shield companies, multiple employer welfare arrangements, captive insurance companies and risk retention groups, and self-insured plans.
Also provides property and casualty actuarial consulting services.
Managing Member of Taylor-Walker Consulting, LLC since November 19, 2015. Began working for its predecessor company, Taylor-Walker & Associates, Inc., as an Actuarial Analyst in November 2006, progressing to Senior Health and Life Consulting Actuary.
Conducts reserve, experience accounting, and ratemaking analyses for insurance companies, captives, and self-insured groups.
Mr. Garduno is the Appointed Actuary for many companies. Supervises and conducts numerous NAIC risk-focused actuarial examinations for state insurance regulators.
Mr. Garduno also conducts property and casualty feasibility, reserve, and funding studies, and prepared property and casualty actuarial reserve analyses for two companies in rehabilitation.
Previously, worked as an Actuarial Analyst for Milliman, Inc. for three years. Projected claims costs and estimated IBNR reserves for use in health insurance premium calculations, and performed actuarial valuations for pension plans.
- Professional Activities
FSAFellow, Society of Actuaries - 2009
MAAAMember, American Academy of Actuaries - 2007
SOFESociety of Financial Examiners
NAICNational Association of Insurance Commissioners
IASAInsurance Accounting and Systems Association
UCIAUtah Captive Insurance Association - Member, Board of Directors since 2015
BS, Brigham Young University, Statistical Science 2001
Post-graduate work, University of Utah – 2005-2006
Post-Graduate Work in Bio-Statistics, University of Utah - 2005-2006
- July 2019: SOFE Career Development Seminar, Tennessee – Participated in a presentation discussing coordinated financial examinations, focusing on actuarial considerations.
- April 2019: Presented “Completeness Testing in the Electronic Data Era” at a training sponsored by the Tennessee Insurance Division.
- October 2018: Presented “Completeness Testing in the Electronic Data Era” and “Maximizing the Effectiveness of Internal and External Audit Work in the Examination Process” at a training for the Pennsylvania Insurance Department.
- July 2018: SOFE Career Development Seminar, California - Participated in two panels discussing “Completeness Testing in the Electronic Data Era” and “Maximizing the Effectiveness of Internal and External Audit Work in the Examination Process.”
- May 2018: Western Region Captive Insurance Conference, Missouri - Participated on a panel discussing “Captive Insurance and Short Duration Contract Disclosure Requirements”.
- Oct 2017: Presented “Loss Triangle and Annual Reporting Review” for captive service providers.
- May 2015: Western Region Captive Insurance Conference, Missouri - Participated on a panel discussing “Who Does What and Why in the Reserve Review Process”.
- May 2014: Western Region Captive Insurance Conference, Utah - Discussed captive insurance company feasibility studies.